As a programmer, this is unacceptable, so make life easier and add the PY extensions as a viewable file extension in ArcCatalog.
- To do this, bring up ArcCatalog and select Customize from the menu bar.
- Next, select 'ArcCatalog Options'
- Click on the 'File Types' tab
- For Standard Installations:
- If you did a standard installation, the computer should already have python installed, so click on 'Import File Type From Registry'
- Select the PY extension in the list
- For 'File Extension' type PY
- 'Description Type' - Python File
- Set the icon to: C:\Python26\ArcGIS10.0\DLLs\py.ic