Alternate Access Mapping enables you to access your Sharepoint site via a typical URL like http://mysharepoint.com instead of hitting the server name at http://mysharepointserver. In combination with DNS A host entries you can also define URLs like http://mysite.mysharepoint.com even though your My Site web application is hosted on a different port.
- Go to Central Administration
- Click on the Operations Tab
- Click on Alternate Access Mappings under Global Configuration
- You should now see a list of your web applications, switch over to the one you want to map to the new URL by selecting it from the drop down on the right side.
- Click on Edit Public URLs and change the desired zone URL type to your new domain name. You can also change your internal URLs also by clicking Add Internal URLs.
- Now you’ll have to switch over to your DNS server.
- Within the DNS Management Console and Under Forward Look up Zones:
- Add a new Primary Zone with your new domain name.
- Add a new Host (A) to the records and point the IP Address to the SharePoint server.